Menu Close

Category / General Directions

Strengthening Our Free Will

Some people argue that there is no such thing as free will. I suppose they just can’t help but think that. When taken to the fullest extent, the idea can be very difficult to grasp. It’s easier, instead, to consider free will as a light switch. We can turn it on and off. Sometimes deliberately. […]

Continue Reading

The All-Consuming Quest for the Wrong Thing

Rating for Bad Blood: 10/10 Rating for Man’s Search for Meaning: 7/10 Best line from Bad Blood: I’m fairly certain that she [Holmes] didn’t initially set out to defraud investors and put patients in harm’s way when she dropped out of Stanford fifteen years ago. But in her all-consuming quest to be the second coming […]

Continue Reading

Imagine Your Second Chance Before Taking Your First

Victor Frankl’s classic book, Man’s Search for Meaning, acknowledges that finding meaning in our efforts can be hard. Whatever it involves, it is first built from our sense of responsibility. This is helpful because, while meaning can be vague, a feeling for doing what is ethically right is usually easy to understand. It doesn’t make […]

Continue Reading

Something We All Want

This week’s feature is a bit unique. It’s a mix of business and philosophy that stems from a fascinating new book and a classic that I kept thinking about while reading it. Together, this will be a discount bundle of book reviews—two for the price of one—mixing John Carreyrou’s bestseller Bad Blood and Victor Frankl’s […]

Continue Reading

The Best Book for Lean Management

The Lean Startup By Eric Reis 10/10 Best Line #1: Always have a theory. Best Line #2: Only 5% of entrepreneurship is the big idea, the business model, the whiteboard strategizing, and the splitting up of the spoils. The other 95% is the gritty work that is measured by innovation accounting: product prioritization decision, deciding […]

Continue Reading

Where Innovation Comes From

I’m really not sure that anyone can intentionally create an innovation from whole cloth. There’s a fine book about this that will be a future review but, for now, consider the beauty of what emerges from great experiments. In other words, consider the accidental discovery that powers much of the office environment: post-it notes. One […]

Continue Reading

The Best Book for Developing Influence

Influencer: The New Science of Leading Change Rating 9/10 Best Line #1: You can never hope to engage people’s commitment if they don’t have permission to say no. Best Line #2: Diagnose before you prescribe. Anything else is malpractice. Influence Powers Successful Strategy Merriam Webster defines influence as follows: “to affect or change someone or […]

Continue Reading

The Best Book To Understand Data

Naked Statistics by Charles Wheelan Rating: 9/10 Best line: Statistics alone cannot prove anything; instead, we use statistical inference to accept or reject explanations on the basis of their relative likelihood. Next best line: Probability doesn’t make mistakes; people using probability make mistakes. The effects of statistics, as a discipline, are completely unavoidable today. I […]

Continue Reading

The Inescapable Average

Our ability to accurately generalize with statistics is infuriating. With a sample of 100 or less people, measured for specific traits, a good study can make reliable assertions about the broader population in a way that we now might taken for granted. It’s all because of a concept known as the Central Limit Theorem. Case […]

Continue Reading

Older Posts